We are looking for a trustee to join our friendly Board of Trustees at FoodCycle.Apply Now
- Connect communities
- Support mental health and wellbeing
- Nourish the hungry
- Promote sustainability
- Inspire change
Our head office is in London. We have ambitious growth plans for the next three years as we intend to expand to
100 Projects across England, Scotland and Wales. Over 4,500 people actively volunteer with us each year to deliver
our services. Our income for 2020 was £1.6M having doubled in 2 years.
Ideally you will be committed, astute, community minded, can think flexibly and be willing to speak your mind.
It is also important that you have the time to commit to the role. As a trustee you will need to spend time reviewing
FoodCycle’s papers prior to the Board Meetings, and attend additional meetings either to support the Senior
Leadership Team or develop strategy. We will invest in training and mentoring for you as necessary in accordance
with your experience as a trustee.
The Board and Committee meetings are normally held in central London/online. Trustees meet 4-5 times a year, and
attend the FoodCycle annual conference held on a weekend in October. Trustees serve three years on the
FoodCycle Board with an option to extend if necessary. We will re-imburse expenses and welcome applications from
across the country.
We are hoping a wide range of people with differing skill sets and experience apply for our trustee positions. It
would be helpful if you have skills and experience of one or more of the following – however it is not essential.
- Lived experience – have you ever used a service or been in need of a service such as FoodCycle’s? This is an
ideal way share your expertise with our Board and SMT and help shape what we do
- Volunteers – responsibility for recruitment/training/policies/procedures and developing skills
- Hospitality – running chains of cafes/restaurants and replicating high standards across venues that differ
- Social Prescribing/guest outreach – you understand the needs of our guests and can help reach out to
charities/health organisations across UK
- Policy – you have developed policy and campaigns in organisations/politics/charity
- Governance – possible experience at a board of a company or other charity
This is not a remunerated position
If you are interested: Why not call the CEO for a chat – you can email her on [email protected] and she will
set up a time for an informal chat. Following that we may ask for a covering note and a CV.
Start: July 2021
FoodCycle is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. The role advertised is ‘Regulated Activity’ and as
such is not exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and that all potential applicants will be subject to
an enhanced DBS disclosure check
- To ensure that FoodCycle complies with our governing document, charity law, company law and any other
relevant legislation or regulations and that we pursue our Objects as defined in our governing document
- To ensure that we apply our resources exclusively in pursuance of FoodCycle’s Objects and that we are
efficiently and effectively managed
- To safeguard the good name and values of FoodCycle
- To ensure the financial stability of FoodCycle
- To appoint the Chief Executive Officer and monitor his/her performance
- To sit on safeguarding, remuneration and other panels as require
In addition to the above statutory duties, we ask our trustees to use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they
have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions.