FoodCycle Trustee – Honorary Treasurer
We are looking for an Honorary Treasurer to join our small, dynamic and friendly Board of Trustees. The Treasurer will help safeguard FoodCycle's reputation and values by ensuring we remain financially stable and have effective financial processes in place.Apply Now
FoodCycle builds communities by combining surplus food, volunteers and spare kitchen space to create nutritious, three-course meals for people who need them. We want to serve more meals, open more projects and increase our impact across the country.
We have 4 main aims:
• To strengthen communities, by bringing people together around a healthy meal and creating opportunities to talk, exchange and build lasting relationships
• To encourage friendships, by creating spaces for people from all backgrounds and walks of life to have fun together, to share experiences and to meet new people.
• To improve nutrition and reduce hunger, by cooking healthy meals for those in need and sharing essential information on food and nutrition.
• To change attitudes towards food and to reduce food waste, by using surplus food and spreading our passion for food and the environment.
Our head office is in London and we have 33 projects across the country serving 1000 guests a week. Founded 8 years ago, our annual turnover has grown steadily over the years to over £650,000.
For further information, please visit our website www.foodcycle.org.uk
FoodCycle Trustees – General responsibilities
• To ensure that FoodCycle complies with our governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations and that we pursue our Objects as defined in our governing document
• To ensure that we apply our resources exclusively in pursuance of FoodCycle’s Objects and that we are efficiently and effectively managed
• To safeguard the good name and values of FoodCycle
• To ensure the financial stability of FoodCycle
• To appoint the Chief Executive Officer and monitor his/her performance.
• To sit on safeguarding, remuneration and other panels as required
FoodCycle is a company limited by guarantee (number 7101349) and a registered charity in England and Wales (number 1134423).
In addition to the above statutory duties, we ask our trustees to use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions.
Honorary treasurer role
As Honorary Treasurer you will be responsible for:
• Overseeing the financial affairs of the organisation and ensuring they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice
• Liaising with the CEO and finance manager to ensure the financial viability of the organisation and to set budgets
• Ensuring proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place
• Monitoring and reporting on the financial health and financial risk management of the organisation to the Board, and taking a lead in interpreting financial data for them
• Overseeing the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts independent examinations/audits
• Ensuring that FoodCycle has appropriate financial, reserves and investment policies
• Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans
• Leading on appointing and overseeing the work of independent examiners / auditors.
You will need to have professional financial qualifications and strong analytical skills; relevant knowledge of charity finance and accounting would be useful. We want someone who is committed, astute, community minded, can think flexibly and who is willing to speak their mind.
It is also important that you have the time to commit to the role. As Treasurer, you will need to spend time reviewing FoodCycle’s finances prior to the Board Meetings, and at any other time as necessary. Approximately, this equates to a day a month.
We will invest in training and mentoring for you as necessary in accordance with your experience as a trustee.
The Board and Committee meetings are normally held in central London. Trustees meet 4-5 times a year, and attend the FoodCycle annual conference held on a weekend in October. Trustees serve three years on the FoodCycle Board with an option to extend if necessary.
This is not a remunerated position.
Please email your CV and a short cover letter to Penny Daly, Chair of Trustees [email protected]