Courgettes Mixed peppers
Mushrooms Herbs and spices (thanks students!) Stock cubes
- Chop onions and thinly slice garlic.
- In a large pan gently fry onions and garlic until the onions have softened.
- Meanwhile heat your oven to approx 180°c/gas mark 4.
- Chop aubergines into 1½cm cubes.
- Place aubergine into a tray of hot oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and herbs and spices of your choice (cayenne pepper/paprika/chilli powder/coriander/cumin etc.). Chop peppers, courgettes and mushrooms into small pieces and add to aubergine tray after about 10mins.
- Add a few more spices, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Add a decent amount of stock to the pan of onion.
- Add required amount of rice to the pan, bring to the boil and let gently simmer until the rice is nearly cooked. Tip the aubergine, peppers, mushrooms and courgette into the pan.
- Add more stock/spice if required.
- Allow to simmer, stirring regularly, while the veg soaks up the flavour, but don’t let it boil.
- Serve the one pot wonder!