For the cake
400g unsalted butter (softened)
400g golden caster sugar
400g self-raising flour
1.5 tbsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp baking powder
For the Pineapple Topping
3x fresh pineapples, peeled & cored (or 3-4 tins of tinned pineapple rings)
200g unsalted butter (softened)
200g light soft brown sugar
Glace cherries (if available) or berries
- Pop the oven on and heat to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Line a large tray (we used a tray approximately 24” x 12” wide) with greaseproof paper
- First, make the topping – beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Spread the topping mixture over the base of the tray and a quarter of the way up the sides.
- Slice the pineapple into thin rings (approx. 1cm thick), and arrange pineapple rings on top, then place cherries or berries in the centre of the rings for decoration.
- Then, make the cake mixture: place the cake ingredients in a bowl and beat to a soft consistency, using a mixer if you have one!
- Spoon the mixture into the tin on top of the pineapple and smooth it out so it’s all the same level.
- Bake for 40-45 mins, until a knife comes out clean.
- Leave to stand for 5 mins, then turn out onto a plate. Serve warm with a ice-cream or vanilla custard.