- Preheat the oven to 175°C/gas mark 4.
- Butter a roasting tin to stop the mixture sticking.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the ripe bananas with a fork until completely smooth.
- Melt some butter in a pan.
- Stir the melted butter into the mashed bananas.
- Mix in the baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the sugar, beaten egg, and vanilla extract.
- Mix in the flour.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. It might take longer depending on the size of the tin.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a rack.
- Remove the banana bread from the tin.
- Slice and serve. (A bread knife helps to make slices that aren’t crumbly.)