We’re Looking For a New Company Secretary
3-7 hours per month
This is not a trustee position nor a remunerated position however we are looking for someone who is passionate about our cause. We will provide personal development in this role.
Vauxhall, London / Remote
FoodCycle is an award–winning national charity delivering volunteer-powered food projects nationally. We have ambitious plans for expansion over the next three years. Join us as Company Secretary to facilitate board meetings and governance.
Roles and Responsibilities
- to support the Chair by ensuring the smooth functioning of the board;
- to receive agenda items from other trustees/staff to prepare agendas in consultation with the Chair and CEO;
- to circulate agendas and supporting papers in good time;
- to make arrangements for meetings
- to check that a quorum is present;
- to minute the meetings and circulating the draft minutes to all trustees;
- to ensure that the minutes are signed by the Chair once they have been approved;
- to check that trustees and staff have carried out action agreed at a previous meeting;
- to act as Company Secretary and ensure that all necessary filings are made at Companies House and the Charity Commission.
- Maintaining the Company Books
What’s in it for you?
This is an incredible time to be joining FoodCycle. We are currently raising funds to enable us to grow significantly over the next three years and anyone who takes on this role will learn how a charity can scale and double its impact over 3 years.
With 17,000 registered volunteers, we work hard to train and progress individuals. We will also invest in training for the Company Secretary role, with a full induction, meeting the trustees, working with the CEO to understand what is expected of the role and enrolling you on specific courses for this role.
One of the most amazing activities at FoodCycle is volunteering at our actual projects. This will give you first–hand experience of community dining, cooking with other volunteers or sitting and chatting with our guests. You can also participate in our higher–level volunteer training which includes Food Safety level 2, Safeguarding, Mental Health Awareness, our Check-in and Chat service as well as attend the annual Project Leader Convention which is huge fun.
What difference will you make?
This is a vital role for the organisation to ensure the efficient running of our quarterly board meetings and monthly calls. By taking an excellent records and following up with minutes, and action log you will help remind trustees and staff of their duties as well as provide legal documentation as required.
You enjoy working with an excellent team of trustees who are committed to FoodCycle and believe in our cause. Your work will provide assurance that FoodCycle is well run, giving confidence to all our supporters
You will also ensure the charity remains legal and credible with ensuring all documentation is up to date and complete on both Company House and the Charity Commission.
All these activities are essential to the smooth and efficient running of the charity.
- Has great organisational skills, with an ability to log and file important data accurately
- Excellent minute taker – with a turnaround time of 48 hours after a meeting
- Excellent communication skills, with strong command of spoken and written English
- Experience working for a charity, NGO, private or public entity (desirable)
Skills, knowledge, ability
- Good organizer – arrange meetings well in advance
- Core IT skills (Microsoft Office)
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills with excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Understanding of what needs filing when with Company House and the Charity Commission
- Personable and warm
- Good listener and willing to carry out what is asked of them
- Clear communicator and good team player
- Willing to participate in volunteering at a project and attend our annual convention.
- Honest and trustworthy
- Commitment to FoodCycle’s charitable objectives and ethics
- Passion for people, food and cooking
- Experience lived or working with people facing hunger or social isolation (desirable)
A CV and a brief covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the role to [email protected]
28th February 2021
FoodCycle is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity
The role advertised is ‘Regulated Activity’ and as such is not exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and that all potential applicants will be subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure check