An Oxo Tower Recipe: Vegan ‘cheese’ cake
Vegan ‘Cheese’ Cake with Mango Coulis
A recipe inspired by surplus tofu and mango and created for FoodCycle guests during lockdown.
Ingredients for 4-6 portions:
75g vegan butter/baking margarine + 40g to bake
50g brown sugar
Juice and rind of one lime
50g brown sugar (less or more depending on preference)
‘Cheese’ Cake Mix
600g tofu (drained for 2 hours)
Juice and rind of one lemon
Pinch of salt
60g vegetable oil
20g corn flour
- Start by mixing all ingredients for the crumble base in a bowl with a wooden spoon until coarse crumbs form. Then spread out thinly on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Bake for 160C for 30min. Cool and blend when cold.
- Prepare the desired baking tin by greasing with vegan butter or margarine. Then mix the blended crumble base with the remaining vegan butter/margarine and spread thinly into the tin.
- Mix all ingredients of the ‘cheese’ cake mix in a blender until smooth.
- Pour over the thinly spread base and bake at 150C for 25min.
- Peel the mango and cut into rough chunks, prepare the lime.
- Caramelize the sugar. Add a thin layer of sugar into a small pot at medium heat just so that the bottom is covered. Give it a few seconds and it will start to become liquid. Then add a bit more sugar until all sugar has caramelised.
- Add the chopped mango and lime juice, stir and bring to simmer.
- Cook for 15min, add the lime rind, blend and add more sugar if needed.
If you like the coulis more savoury, try adding some chilli flakes or ginger while cooking. Cool before serving with the cake!