Surplus Food Collection
You’ll pick up surplus food collections from our partner supermarkets and local retailers, ensuring a prompt, reliable and friendly collection each week.Sign up here
About the role
FoodCycle volunteers are welcoming and committed people who want to help support communities during the coronavirus pandemic. As a surplus food collection volunteer, you’ll be playing a vital part in making sure guests who are no longer able to go out can receive food parcels. You’ll pick up surplus food collections from our partner supermarkets and local retailers, ensuring a prompt, reliable and friendly collection each week. You’ll then bring the surplus food back to our project and store it securely. You can do this by bike or by car!
Skills you’ll learn
- Teamwork: you’ll work as part of a team of volunteers ensuring our delivery service can take place.
- Relationship building: you’ll be building lasting relationships with your store managers and volunteers.
- Time management: you will be required to keep organised and to deliver surplus on time, to a schedule.
What to expect from FoodCycle
- Ongoing support and advice from a Regional Manager and HQ for every session.
- Expenses, including mileage covered in line with our volunteer policy.
- Impressive skills to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it.
- The opportunity to make a difference during a challenging time.
What’s expected from me
- Have bags of enthusiasm!
- Follow all FoodCycle policies and procedures – including all guidance surrounding coronavirus Health and Safety.
- Follow all training you receive when registering with us.
- Support FoodCycle to fulfil its aim of nourishing communities using surplus food!
- A full, valid UK driving licence.
- A road-worthy vehicle with up-to-date road tax and MOT certificate.
- Fully comprehensive car insurance.
- Read and agreed to Volunteer Drivers Policy.
- A road worthy bike and helmet
Give as much as you feel! It is easy to volunteer with FoodCycle and we don’t look for minimum commitments but love it if you keep coming back! An average food collection volunteer slot is 2 hours.
If you are 70+, clinically vulnerable or extremely clinically vulnerable please contact [email protected] before signing up to volunteer for this role.
Register to volunteer