A FoodCycle project is where the magic happens: we collect food from supermarkets, bring it to a venue and cook it
into a three-course meal for our guests..
FoodCycle combines surplus food, volunteers and free kitchen space to create nutritious, three-course meals for the community.
We have 4 main aims:
• To strengthen communities, by bringing people together around a healthy meal and creating opportunities to talk, exchange and build lasting relationships
• To encourage friendships, by creating spaces for people from all backgrounds and walks of life to have fun together, to share experiences and to meet new people.
• To improve nutrition and reduce hunger, by cooking healthy meals for those in need and sharing essential information on food and nutrition.
• To change attitudes towards food and to reduce food waste, by using surplus food and spreading our passion for food and the environment.
As a Hosting Volunteer, you’ll support the team in creating a warm, welcoming environment for our guests. You’ll serve food, share a meal with our guests, encourage conversation and clean up after the meal. You’ll be supported by a FoodCycle qualified Project Leader, who will help you develop your hosting skills.
Skills you’ll learn
- Teamwork: you’ll work as part of a team to serve our guests and make them feel welcome.
- Hosting skills: you’ll support front of house duties, serving food and demonstrating good customer service skills.
- Relationship building: you’ll be building lasting relationships with your local community, guests and volunteers, ensuring they come back each week.
- Fundraising: you have the opportunity to participate in fundraising activities, like pop-ups and sponsored challenges, to help raise vital funds to support your project.
What to expect from FoodCycle
- Ongoing support and advice from a FoodCycle Project Leader during every session.
- Impressive skills to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it.
- Travel expenses of up to £15 will be reimbursed within two weeks, with proof of travel.
- The opportunity to meet a large network of like-minded people.
- A fun, creative volunteer experience, contributing to a community-led project.
To apply, please register your details at our volunteer site, take a short quiz and sign up!
You can sign up to our volunteer opportunities as frequently as you like. Before you sign up for a session, please read our volunteer agreement and ensure that you will adhere to all the points.