Food Prep / Bagging Volunteer
About the role
FoodCycle volunteers are welcoming and committed people who want to help support communities during the coronavirus pandemic. As a Food Bagging Volunteer, you’ll be playing a vital part in making sure guests who are in need receive food parcels. You’ll sort and organise surplus food delivered to our venue with one other volunteer, ensuring bags are evenly made up and full of delicious food for our guests each week. You will ensure that enough bags are made up each week, and ensure whilst bagging that you are following all social distancing and hygiene practices.
Skills you’ll learn
Teamwork: you’ll work as part of a team with one other volunteer, ensuring our delivery service can take place by bagging up the food.
Relationship building: you’ll be building lasting relationships with your fellow volunteer and the wider FoodCycle staff.
Time management: you will be required to keep organised and bag up food in a timely and organised way, ready for the drivers to collect the packages.
What to expect from FoodCycle
- Ongoing support and advice from a Regional Manager and HQ for every session.
- Expenses, including mileage covered in line with our volunteer policy.
- Impressive skills to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it.
- The opportunity to make a difference during a challenging time.
What’s expected from me
- Have bags of enthusiasm!
- Follow all FoodCycle policies and procedures – including all guidance surrounding coronavirus Health and Safety.
- Follow all training you receive when registering with us.
- Support FoodCycle to fulfil its aim of nourishing communities using surplus food!
Give as much as you feel! It is easy to volunteer with FoodCycle and we don’t look for minimum commitments but love it if you keep coming back! An average food bagging slot is 2 hours.
Do any of the following apply to you?
- I have a temperature or a new, continuous cough – please stay at home for 7 days.
- Someone in my household has a temperature or a new, continuous cough – please stay at home with all household members for 14 days.
- I am aged over 70
- I am an adult with an underlying health condition
- Respiratory diseases – such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Heart disease – such as heart failure
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease – such as hepatitis
- Neurological conditions – such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis, a learning disability, or cerebral palsy
- Problems with your spleen – such as sickle cell disease, or your spleen has been removed
- Weakened immune system – resulting from conditions such as HIV, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
- Seriously overweight (body mass index of 40+)
- Clinical conditions that put you at higher risk of severe illness
- I am pregnant
If Yes to any of the above, please do not volunteer
Register to volunteer now