Food Collection Volunteer
Roll up your sleeves and join us in the fight against food waste!
Looking for a fun way to make a difference in your community?
You sound like you’re a FoodCycler!
We work with thousands of volunteers across the country and, without their amazing work, FoodCycle simply wouldn’t be possible. So much of our success is down to our incredible volunteers and, best of all, you can join them!
Hop on your bike, take to the streets or jump in the car and help us to rescue lots of tasty food from the bin. Join us to take this food to your local project, where our cooking volunteers will transform it into a delicious, 3-course meal for the community.
All volunteers must be over the age of 18.
Skills you’ll learn
- Teamwork: you’ll work as part of a team to collect food from a range of retailers.
- Relationship building: you’ll build lasting relationships with store managers and volunteers.
- Fundraising: you’ll have the opportunity to participate in fundraising activities, like pop ups and sponsored challenges, to help raise vital funds to support your Project.
What to expect from FoodCycle
- Ongoing support and advice from a FoodCycle Project Leader during every session.
- Expenses, including mileage, covered in line with our volunteer policy.
- Free online training modules, including first aid awareness and food allergens.
- The opportunity to take on additional tasks/responsibilities.
- Impressive skills to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it.
- The opportunity to meet a large network of like-minded people.
- A fun, creative volunteer experience within a community led project.
What’s expected from me
- Have bags of enthusiasm!
- Follow all FoodCycle policies and procedures – including the volunteer agreement.
- Follow all training you receive when registering with us.
- Support FoodCycle to fulfil its mission of nourishing communities with food and conversation.
- A full UK driving licence.
- A road-worthy vehicle with up-to-date road tax and MOT certificate.
- Fully comprehensive insurance.
- Read and agree to FoodCycle’s Volunteer Drivers Policy.
- A road-worthy bicycle (with ability to hitch a trailer) and a helmet.
- Sensible shoes and a sturdy backpack/bag.
Give as much as you feel! It is easy to volunteer with FoodCycle and we don’t look for minimum commitments, but we love it if you keep coming back! An average surplus food collection volunteer slot is 2 hours.
Equality, diversity and inclusion – FoodCycle prides itself on being a diverse organisation and welcomes volunteers and guests from all backgrounds and walks of life – we do not condone or tolerate any form of discrimination. Visit our equal opportunities page to find out more about volunteering with a disability.
To apply, please register your details at our volunteer site, take a short quiz and sign up!
You can sign up to our volunteer opportunities as frequently as you like.