FoodCycle volunteers are welcoming and committed people who want to create delicious meals and lasting relationships within their community.
Looking for a fun way to make a difference in your community?
You sound to us like you’re a FoodCycler!
We work with thousands of volunteers across the country and, without their amazing work, FoodCycle simply wouldn’t be possible. So much of our success is down to our incredible volunteers and, best of all, you can join them!
Whether you’re a Masterchef winner in the making or a cooking novice, everyone over the age of 18 is welcome to volunteer with FoodCycle.
Roll your sleeves up, sport a fetching hairnet and join the kitchen team to produce a three-course vegetarian meal using surplus food. You’ll be peeling, chopping, frying, mixing, boiling, serving and washing up. But most of all, you’ll have a lot of fun.
You don’t need to have any previous cooking experience, you just need to get stuck in!
Skills you’ll learn
- Teamwork: you’ll work as part of a team to help produce a delicious meal for our guests.
- Cooking: you’ll learn how to cater for large numbers and how to make nutritionally balanced meals.
- Creativity: you won’t know what your ingredients are before the session so you’ll need to get creative to come up with recipe ideas and produce a great meal!
- Fundraising: you’ll have the opportunity to participate in fundraising activities, like pop ups and sponsored challenges, to help raise vital funds to support your Project.
What to expect from FoodCycle
- Ongoing support and advice from a FoodCycle Project Leader during every session.
- Expenses, including mileage, covered in line with our volunteer policy.
- Free online training modules, including first aid awareness and food allergens.
- The opportunity to take on additional tasks/responsibilities.
- Impressive skills to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it.
- The opportunity to meet a large network of like-minded people.
- A fun, creative volunteer experience within a community led project.
What’s expected from me
- Have bags of enthusiasm!
- Follow all FoodCycle policies and procedures – including the volunteer agreement.
- Follow all training you receive when registering with us.
- Support FoodCycle to fulfil its mission of nourishing communities with food and conversation.
Give as much as you feel! It is easy to volunteer with FoodCycle and we don’t look for minimum commitments, but we love it if you keep coming back! An average cooking slot is 4 hours.
Equality, diversity and inclusion – FoodCycle prides itself on being a diverse organisation and welcomes volunteers and guests from all backgrounds and walks of life – we do not condone or tolerate any form of discrimination. Visit our equal opportunities page to find out more about volunteering with a disability.
If you are 70+, clinically vulnerable or extremely clinically vulnerable please contact [email protected] before signing up to volunteer for this role.
To apply, please register your details at our volunteer site, take a short quiz and sign up!