Check-in Phone Volunteer
About the role
FoodCycle volunteers are welcoming and committed people who want to help support communities and tackle loneliness. As a check in phone volunteer you’ll be playing a vital part in connecting with our guests through weekly calls. You will chat about food, learn about each other, and share the joy of a great a chat!
You will need to be confident in talking to strangers and have access to internet to log your calls and access Workplace*.
*As your role is fully remote, you will be required to use Workplace to receive support and guidance from your Support Leader. You will be given instructions on how to join Workplace after attending the virtual training.
About the service
75% of our guests have said that they often feel lonely. Check-in and Chat is a chance for our guests to have a conversation with our FoodCycle volunteers once a week, to feel connected to others, to chat about food, to learn about each other and share the joy of a great a chat.
Check-in and Chat is designed to be a fun and easy way to connect to someone new, each week. As volunteers, you are not support workers but our Check-in and Chat service is a chance for you to provide guests with information on other local organisations which can offer them further specialised support (such as mental health support or other support services).
Skills you’ll learn
- Teamwork: you’ll work as part of a remote team of volunteers
- Relationship building: you’ll be building social connections with vulnerable people
- Time management: you will be required to keep organised and report on your phone calls
What to expect from FoodCycle
- Ongoing support and advice from a Regional Manager, HQ and your Support Leader
- You will be added to Workplace to be a part of a network of other Check-in Phone volunteers and receive support from your Support Leader
- Expenses in line with our volunteer policy
- Impressive skills to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it
- The opportunity to make a difference
- Virtual training with other volunteers
What’s expected from me
- Have bags of enthusiasm!
- Follow all FoodCycle policies and procedures – including all guidance surrounding phone calls
- Follow our Volunteer Agreement
- Attend a 1.5 hour safeguarding training course before making any calls on behalf of FoodCycle
- Accept our Workplace invitation to be able to receive support from your Support Leader
- Follow all training you receive when registering with us
- Make 4, 15-20 minute phone calls each week
- Support FoodCycle to fulfil its aim of connecting communities!
- Keep all guest data secure and confidential
An average call takes 20 minutes and we ask that you do 4 a week.
Register to volunteer now