Become a Project Leader
Our Project Leaders are passionate, committed and want to make a positive change within their community. Why not take on a lead volunteer role and help feed people in your community.Register here
Each project is run by our lead volunteers called, Project Leaders. Each leader will take on a specific role to ensure the smooth running of their FoodCycle Project. These people are passionate, committed and want to make a positive change within their community, they take ownership of their project and make decisions about the day-to-day running of it.
Hosting Project Leader
As hosting leader, you’ll act as the maitre’ d of the team, running your project’s front of house and helping to create a warm, friendly atmosphere that will make both volunteers and guests want to return each week. Your team of volunteers will lay the tables, greet guests and serve food – all under your guidance!
You will be encouraging conversations, and occasionally defusing situations. As well as making sure food gets served and cleared up on time. Hosting leaders need to be diplomatic, friendly and organised, and love the buzz of a busy dining environment and chatting with our guests.
Cooking Project Leader
As a Cooking Project Leader you’ll take act as the head chef and working with the team to turn the surplus food delivery in to a delicious and nutritious three course meal. You won’t know what ingredients you have until the day, so you’ll need to be creative.
You will also take on responsibility of inducting volunteers into the kitchen, facilitating the team, ensuring that all health and safety guidelines are adhered to, as well as working with the other leaders to ensure the project runs as smoothly as possible.
Surplus Food Coordinator
You’ll be a central part of the Project Leader team working with local supermarkets, shops, restaurants and surplus food services to ensure the weekly cook has a regular donation of food. You will be passionate about reducing the amount of food that’s wasted in our society and actively seek out opportunities to work with local services, grow your project’s networks within the local community and represent FoodCycle at local food waste events and meetings.
You will be the point of contact for volunteers with any concerns during a session and will be responsible for reporting back any incidents to your Regional Manager.
Skills you’ll learn
- Teamwork: you’ll work as part of a team to prepare a delicious meal and serve it to our guests.
- Leadership and delegation: we’ll train you up to lead cooking/hosting sessions and induct new volunteers.
- Safeguarding: you’ll learn how to ensure that the safety of our guest and volunteers is always maintained and everyone acts within the correct boundaries.
- Relationship building: you’ll be building lasting relationships with your guests and volunteers, ensuring they come back each week.
What to expect from FoodCycle
- Ongoing, regular visits, support and advice from your Regional Manager
- A training conference to equip you for your role. Travel, accommodation and food cost covered by FoodCycle.
- Expenses covered in line with our volunteer policy.
- Training throughout the year from FoodCycle, including safeguarding and first aid.
- Impressive skills to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it.
- Accredited level two food safety qualification provided by FoodCycle.
- The opportunity to meet a large network of like-minded people.
- A fun, creative volunteer experience with ownership over a community-led project.
What’s expected of me
We ask that Project Leaders stay with us for a minimum of 9 months, to enable them to get the most out of the role. As Community Outreach Coordinator, you will be expected to:
- Attend a monthly Project Leader meeting to discuss as a team how things are going.
- Lead a minimum of one session per month
- Follow all FoodCycle policies and procedures
- Complete a DBS check and attend safeguarding training
- Complete the project report on our website after leading a session
The suggested minimum time commitment to your role is 6 hours a month.
Click here to apply.